" The Inspired Traditionalist: Electronic candles?? 200 x 38 pixels, 5, bytes.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Electronic candles??

I had to share this story because the modernism in the church is so visible and disturbing. I know that since Vatican II there has been a lot of modern art in the churches. You see the architectural design and wonder what in the world are they thinking about? Where is the beauty of our old architecture and structures of the old churches. There are elaborate statues and beautifully designed stained glass that surrounds us in the older churches. The statues were just so awesome to gaze at when you contemplate in prayer. The surroundings exhuberated such fine respect and devotion to God. Now I know that there is much to say about modern churches and the lack of statues and beauty. It is plain ugly to look at and does nothing for the human being whose tendencies are towards visual objects. Everyone enjoys beauty in every aspect. God created beautiful people, and people created beautiful objects. Some of these banners and wall hangings are atrocious and although the message printed on them is meant to be inspiring it is just plain tacky. There is no comparison between the new and old church even if it is the most desperate need of repair. Some new modern up to date churches even have those linoleum looking floors (UGHHHH!!!)
To see what is happening to our churches view this web site www.immaculateconceptionpreservationfund.org
I don't want to think of what the replacement church would look like.
This is all part of the modernism that needs to be stopped.

I have to tell this story. I walked into a church this afternoon. I wanted to sit in the church and get away from it all during my lunch hour from work. I started to head to the doors and saw the plain glass doors. I tried not to think that I was walking into a department store. I looked around and of course, the tabernacle was off to the side (how I despise our Lord off to the side). I saw these banners hanging all over and I feel that although the messages were beautiful and quoting scripture, this is not what I want to look at. I know that if it wasn't for the tabernacle in these modern churches you would swear you were in another denominational church. I walked down the aisle and tried to focus on the crucifix and the poor housing of my Savior. I sat about the middle of the church. I turned around to look about and I saw a statue of the Blessed Mother with the votive candles below her. I thought I would stop and light a candle when I left. When I walked to the back of the church I knelt down and looked for the amount to put in for my offering. The sign said $2.00 for 5 days. I had never seen this before. I then reached in my pocket for the money and looked towards the candles and noticed the most strangest thing I had ever seen. These were not real candles. These candles were glowing devices representing candles with a little button on the top to click onto to light them up. I have seen everything now. I looked at the Blessed Mother and said to her "WHY"??? I think this is too much. What is going to be next? Computerized Masses?? Please help me pray for this to end and to bring back some reverence to our churches. This whole thing makes me sick.

6 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger N. Trandem said...

Almost as sad as the parishes who are advertising for liturgical dancers

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger G. Thomas Fitzpatrick said...

Well, I don't like them, but local fire departments sometimes require them rather than real candles.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still struggling to explain to my children why the Blessed Mother is in the back of our Church. My 9 year old daughter submitted a letter to our pastor asking him why the tabernacle is on the side instead of the center. Does anyone have an explaination for this? I have been told it is located there so parishoners can pray before it. I have seen pictures of our Church in 1970's and it was far more beautiful than it is now. There was a Communnion rail,beautiful statues and many candles. I have realized the theory in redesigning the Church was to make it more "congregational like" in order to draw more people. Despite all this, I choose to stay. I can plant the seeds and remind others what our church was like and how we can improve the surroundings to better glorify Our Lord!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

In my opinion these are just excuses that are given to us to justify what they feel is right. How many churches have burned down because the candles were burning? None that I am aware of. I am sure that this has possibly been an issue but not a big enough one to justify it's cause. If they feel that fire is an issue, then just make it more compliant. Don't take away our light. As far as the tabernacle and the Blessed Mother are concerned, WEll...Jesus should never be cast to the side and Our Blessed Mother should have never taken a back seat to anyone. No excuses!!!!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Dymphna said...

I don't mind electric candles. They are safer. At my church we have a lot of homeless/insane people and the sacristans have to keep their eyes open to prevent little accidents from turning dangerous.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Joyce Wyld said...

We have electric candles in malaysia too. Before I became a traditionalist, I thoughtit was strange, though kind of cool. Now I know that its just a farce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

League of Warm and Fuzzy Traditionalists
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!